How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister-in-law had a major stroke over a year ago. Not sure

This answer was rated:

My sister-in-law had a major stroke over a year ago. Not sure of all details. But have been waiting for over a year for disability and Medicare. Now the care home is kicking her out.her daughter cannot care for her. What can be done. Bankruptcy . What is the next steps.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

She should have been applying for medicaid to get extended care. Her daughter should be applying for her and she needs to go to social services to get the medicaid approved now that it is really being needed.

Bankruptcy does not solve the problem of her needing extended care, that is a medicaid issue.

Also, someone needs to get guardianship over her if the daughter does not have a PoA and this is done by needing a local attorney to file a petition for guardianship in the court and produce medical evidence of her mental and physical incapacity to care for her own affairs and the court would place the daughter or whoever can manage her affairs as guardian and they can act for the sister in laws benefit in getting medicaid and any other decisions that have to be made.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions