How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After two years and $20,000 in legal fees, a bogus civil claim

This answer was rated:

After two years and $20,000 in legal fees, a bogus civil claim against me was was thrown out by the judge (summary dismissal) without appearance of the parties or lawyers .

My questions: what happens now to my counterclaims? How can I recover my legal fees?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, your counterclaims were already filed by then, or you never filed any? And if you filed the counter-claims, there were not dismissed as well, or you do not know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My list of counterclaims was filed as part of my answer to the lawsuit. I do not know the judge's reaction to my claims. I have just received notice about the summary dismissal, which ,by the way, was no surprise to me.

Thank you for your follow-up, Elie.


In that case the next step is to find the full order that the judge put in place. If the counterclaims were not dismissed, they are still valid and 'live'--you can still pursue the counter claims even if the initial claim is now formally dismissed. On the other hand if your counter-claims are also dismissed, then you have the choice of either refiling (if the dismissal was 'without prejudice'), or simply letting the whole suit go as it would then appear that the judge simply dismissed both sides. If you want to recover your fees, and your counterclaims were dismissed, you refile.


Hope that helps.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you