How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117369
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex was to get a QDRO for a pension of mine with a company

This answer was rated:

My ex was to get a QDRO for a pension of mine with a company I worked for 4 years.
Last year I lost my job and cashed out my pensions in order to survive. She never did do a QDRO for the pension and to be honest at the time I lost my job I certainly wasnt thinking of what my divorce papers had in them 7 years ago. Now she hired an attorney to recover what is hers.
I have no problem surrending her pension back to her since I had a QDRO done a few years ago for her pension....the reason Im willing to give her her pension is that I am Still unemployed and only have a couple thousand in the bank to live off of...I have no assests...
What can I do
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, even though she did not have the QDRO filed if the court did order she was to receive a share of your pension I am afraid you are going to have to settle this with her as she is entitled to that money. It would be an acceptable settlement to the court if you and she agreed upon you giving up your rights in her pension as an exchange for her releasing her claim on the pension you took from her. You need to put a written offer to settle to her attorney offering to give up your interest in her pension in exchange for her dismissing her claim to recover her share of the pension you took, BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT, while I know money is tight now and you are looking at this very narrowly and not into the future you need to think about what you will be losing in the future by giving up your share of her pension and you may want to find a way to pay her what you should have paid her when you cashed out (even if you have to offer a payment plan) because you might be sorry later when your right to collect your share of her pension is effective because when you are older you may need that pension to supplement your income.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will her and her attorney need to calculate what she would have been entitled. The our divorce was complete in 2006 ...I started the company in 2002....Dont they need to calculate what she would be entitled to based on 4years of employment

Thank you for your response.

You have to refer back to the initial court order awarding her the share of the pension to calculate the amount she should receive based on what you took out of the pension, yes.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you