How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118201
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a wife owns the principal residence as her separate property,

This answer was rated:

If a wife owns the principal residence as her separate property, gained from an inheritance while while married, and held in her own trust, if she sells it to her husband, will the property taxes be reassessed at the value he pays her. In the trust, she has given life estate to live there and then leaves the property to her children. They were advised to put the sale thru escrow to give husband clear title from her children, and then he can leave it to whomever he decides and she has money to give her children.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the CA law, if there is a family transfer, adding the husband or child to the deed, then the property taxes do not change. The family transfer putting it in her husband's name as a spousal transfer does not create a taxable event under the CA law. It is called an interspousal transfer .

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does this still hold true if he is giving her money for the value of the house?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, it does not matter and it is not something that the state considers.