How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good day. Does a Hungarian court have jusrissiction over me

This answer was rated:

Good day.
Does a Hungarian court have jusrissiction over me in California? I am a us citizen but was born there

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Can you tell me what you are being sued over? What happened and where?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joseph
My name isXXXXX
My brother, dad n I were named in a lawsuit that we inherited after my mom passed away 5 years ago.
My dad n I don't speak.
My older bother is in another state.
My mom was sueing over our property that was unlawfully taken from her and her case was going well but she got cancer n passed away.
Hello Reka,

Are you and your other family members listed as plaintiffs in this suit then?

As you inherited the cause of action from your mother? As she was suing (not being sued) over your property that was unlawfully taken?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. We are named in the lawsuit. My brother n I asked to withdraw from the case in dec 08 but these people want to drag us into this knowing we are the Us. If we loose we have to pay for their court fees as well.
I didn't receive the notice to appear but my brother did and he is flying back
Unfortunately, since the property is in Romania and the cause of action is in Romania, Romania has jurisdiction over this matter.

Romania would then have jurisdiction over the parties that are involved in THIS particular lawsuit (which is what is called special jurisdiction).

For instance, if someone from Germany injured you in a car accident, you can sue that person in California over the car accident, and California courts would have jurisdiction over the matter as it is in California. However, the jurisdiction would be limited to that 'special' action connected with the state. The same applies to the jurisdiction of foreign countries.

Romania would not have general jurisdiction over your because you reside in California (it doesn't matter where you were born).

It seems incomprehensible to me though that they would not allow you to withdraw yourself as a plaintiff to the case, unless you and your family members are being countersued by the defendant(s) to the case, but that may have to deal with a unique principal of Romanian law.

Finally, while they could charge you court fees, Romania would not have the jurisdiction to enforce any order against you in California. Meaning it could only attach any assets you would have in Romania, if you have any assets located there at all.

I would suggest that you speak to a Romanian attorney about this matter, as you probably need particular advice that only an attorney licensed in Romania could provide you with.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service preferably) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!


Joseph and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Reka,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service! It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,