How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118255
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own 8 acres of land in Chesterfield county. This past year

This answer was rated:

I own 8 acres of land in Chesterfield county. This past year (May 28, 2013) I received a letter from the Chesterfield County Assessor's office informing me that my taxes would be going up. They informed me that they were in the process of updating their records and found that I had not registered a mobile home on my land. After talking with the county appraiser, I informed them that I do not own a mobile home or was unaware of such having been put on my land. I talked briefly with the owner (she hung up on me after a few minutes) of the mobile home to inform her that she had somehow put the home on my land. She refuse to talk about paying for the increase of my taxes. I'll never live there and I just want her to pay for the increase in my taxes or I will sell her 1 acre for a $3,000, 4,000 thousand. Can I take this to small claims court?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are you saying someone placed a mobile home on your property without your permission?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you for your response.

If she is on your property and she refuses to discuss this with you, then you need to file suit against her for both the increase in taxes she caused you and to evict her from your land. If you do not pursue her to evict her from your land and leave her there it is possible if she remains on the land she could acquire ownership through adverse possession.

She is liable to you for both the increase in property tax and you can sue for reasonable rent for her using your land and seek to have her removed for trespassing and conversion over your land.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you