Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

what is the legal holiday schedule for homeschooled children

what is the legal holiday schedule for homeschooled children in washington state.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Home schooled children follow the same holidays as other schools. Here is the WA law:

RCW 28A.150.050

School holidays.

The following are school holidays, and school shall not be taught on these days: Sunday; the first day of January, commonly called New Year's Day; the third Monday of January, being celebrated as the anniversary of the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr.; the third Monday in February to be known as Presidents' Day and to be celebrated as the anniversary of the births of Abraham Lincoln and XXXXX XXXXX; the last Monday in May, commonly known as Memorial Day; the fourth day of July, being the anniversary of the Declaration of Independence; the first Monday in September, to be known as Labor Day; the eleventh day of November, to be known as Veterans' Day, the fourth Thursday in November, commonly known as Thanksgiving Day; the day immediately following Thanksgiving Day; the twenty-fifth day of December, commonly called Christmas Day: PROVIDED, That no reduction from the teacher's time or salary shall be made by reason of the fact that a school day happens to be one of the days referred to in this section as a day on which school shall not be taught.

Thus, these are the school holidays provided by law.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

More specifically: If the custodial parent is homeschooling and non custodial gets the child as decreed in the parenting plan for school breaks. So what in Washington state is considered a school break... as in exact dates. The parenting plan was made based on public school schedule and later they started homeschooling and now there is a dispute and confusion about what a school break is. Can the custodial parent choose to make the entire school break only Christmas day for example.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I apologize for the delay, but we are working with multiple customers and they all deserve the same attention you deserve. Thank you for your reply and your patience.

You asked for holidays and were provided the law on holidays. As far as school breaks those are not set by statute, but here is a WA School Vacation Calendar you can use to see the dates the WA Schools are off of school. If the parenting order says the NCP gets the child on school breaks this means the breaks have to conform to the school calendar itself. See: WA School Vacations.