Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

HI, THIS CAN ONLY HAPPEN TO ME. I BOUGHT A CAR OFF A FRIEND

Customer Question

HI, THIS CAN ONLY HAPPEN TO ME. I BOUGHT A CAR OFF A FRIEND OF MINE FOR 500.00 HE SIGNED OFF ON THE TITLE. I DIDNT SIGN ON TO THE TITLE YET. CAR NEEDS SOME WORK BEFORE EMISSION. FRIEND OF MINE WANTS TO BUY IT OFF ME BUT ITS NOT QUITE READY YET BUT I LET THEM TEST DRIVE IT. FRIEND OF MINE GOT PULLED OVER FOR SPEEDING AND WENT TO JAIL FOR DRIVING ON SUSPENDED.CAR IMPOUNDED I CONTACTED GLENDALE POLICE AND THEY TOLD ME I COULD GET THE CAR OUT NOW IF I HAVECURRENT REGISTRATION, INSURANCE, AZ DL CURRENT TITLE. WENT 2 3RD PARTY TITLE CO. AND SHE GAVE ME A 30 DAY PERMIT, WENT TO GLENDALE POLICE AGAIN AND THEY TOLD ME SINCE i GOT 30DAY PERMIT NOW THE CAR HAS TO STAY IMPOUNDED FOR 30 DAYS. I WILL NEVER GET THE CAR OUT OF IMPOUND NOW BECAUSE AFTER THE 30 DAYS OF BEING IN IMPOUND. THE CHARGE WILL BE OVER 700 .00 2 GET IT OUT. I EXPLANED TO THE 3RD PARTY TITLE AGENCY WHAT HAD HAPPENED TO MY CAR BEING IMPOUNDED. AND THAT I NEEDED TO GET CURRENT PERMIT TO GET THE CAR OUT. I DONT KNOW WHAT ALL THE LAWS ARE BUT ONE WOULD THINK THESE PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW WHAT THE LAW IS???THEY WORK SIDE BY SIDE WITH MVD.. MY OPINION IS WHY WOULD SHE ISSUE ME A 30 DAY TITLE,WHEN KNOWING BY DOING THAT, ITS GOING TO PUT MY CAR INTO A 30 DAY HOLD ACCORDING TO HOW THE LAW READS. I DONT KNOW NOW IF I BROKE THE LAW OR DID I JUST SCREW MYSELF FOR THINKING THIS MVD TITLE AGENCY NEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. MY QUESTION IS OF COARSE IS WHO HOLDS THESE AGENCY ACCOUNTABLE AND OR IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM OR DID I JUST GET SCAMED OUT OF MY CAR. ANY HELP WOULD BE OF HELP...LOL THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME ...JACK...in other words once your car is impounded by the police in az, it sounds like you can get it back as long as you were not the owner of the car that got busted for driving on suspended. i was not driving it and was told by glendale police i could get it out if i meet all the requirments. so i was getting everything i needed to meet the requirments with the help of the person from the 3rd party mvd.. she failed to tell me that if i do anything with a change after the impound, that makes it a 30 day suspention .to me thats like having a cop tell youthat you can drive the wrong way down a one way street...if knowbody sees you you wont get a ticket.. and its the right thing to do unless you get caught.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The problem is that the 30 day title is what is issued pending the new title being issued. Also, the AZ law on impound of vehicles this issuance of a 30 day permit does not matter because the law says that any transfer of ownership once the car has been impounded causes the 30 day hold to be invoked. So even if you obtained a regular title once the car was impounded, they would have had to hold it for 30 day because title ownership was changed after the impound occurred.

Glendale cannot release it because title was changed after it was impounded. This has nothing to do about the title company you used.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.