Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I live in Texas in the country. My neighbors across the street

I live in Texas in the country. My neighbors across the street from me are meth addicts one of them has 2 possession charges pending right now. I own the property across the street from them. I want to put up a 3x4 foot sign the reads METH DEN with an arrow pointing at their house. Is this legal, it is my property and I live in the country.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

This is a situation where there is nothing that blocks you from putting up such a sign. Unless there are zoning ordinances that deny you such options, you can absolutely put up whatever signs you wish.

However...

Doing so can permit the neighbors to file suit civilly against you for harassment, claim that the board is a nuisance, and also sue for 'defamation of character'. Since the allegation that you are making is unproven as yet (you do not know it is a meth den although signs point to it being one), it is arguably a statement that is untrue and damaging. That could permit them to sue you for whatever injuries are caused to their reputation. They cannot deface your property or damage it, but they do have recourse through the courts. Most of the time such suits are not generally pursued since such suits cost money, but it may be something they can still elect to do against you. They can also seek an injunction against you ordering you to remove the notice.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.