How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116715
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I do when the Treasurer of our Association has not

This answer was rated:

What do I do when the Treasurer of our Association has not given a report for 5 years and avoids opening the books for a review. the Association takes in between 5 to $6,000 every year.
Thank you for your question I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the association is refusing to provide a proper accounting, then members would first approach the board and demand they order one. Second, if the board refuses to provide an accounting to members as required, then the members have a right to file suit for declaratory judgment in court to force the association to produce the accounting and the books for inspection to the members.

Under FS 720.303, in pertinent part, the association shall keep and provide these records, it states:

(j) The financial and accounting records of the association, kept according to good accounting practices. All financial and accounting records must be maintained for a period of at least 7 years. The financial and accounting records must include:1. Accurate, itemized, and detailed records of all receipts and expenditures.2. A current account and a periodic statement of the account for each member, designating the name and current address of each member who is obligated to pay assessments, the due date and amount of each assessment or other charge against the member, the date and amount of each payment on the account, and the balance due.3. All tax returns, financial statements, and financial reports of the association.4. Any other records that identify, measure, record, or communicate financial information.(k) A copy of the disclosure summary described in s. 720.401(1).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the Lee county consignment and Resale association. It has no current board only the same treasurer for the last 6 years. she has never given an actual report. With 5 to 6,000 coming in every year and only $2,500 spent for a brochure printing of all the stores and a one time basic website charge it looks like a shortfall of about at least $15,000 over the last 6 years. she refuses to give an actual of receipts and actual expenses but only to say we have money and there are expenses. I was thinking of contacting the police or the IRS for an audit. she is now acting defiant with me.

Thank you for your clarification.

The members of an association have a right for an accounting. If she refuses to give one, then you can still report it to the police and the District Attorney as well if there is a suspicion that she has taken money from the association, which it sounds now like you believe. The IRS can be called for a tax audit as well, especially if she has not filed proper tax returns, but the police and DA are the best first bet and report theft by embezzlement to them.
Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you