How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

May a retired lawyer from Massachusetts represent his wife

This answer was rated:

May a retired lawyer from Massachusetts represent his wife in a civil action brought by her in Vermont?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.


Since the attorney is retired, and he is not licensed to practice in Vermont, representing her would be considered 'unauthorized practice of law' and would not be permitted. While he can always represent himself, once he is retired, he cannot represent others, even family, especially in jurisdictions in which he never practiced in.

I am sorry!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will VT court entertain a motion to allow the retired lawyer to act for his wife in this civil case only?



Thank you for your follow-up. If the attorney pursues a reinstatement with his local state bar, perhaps it is possible, but once retired, an attorney is technically no longer practicing and no longer permitted to represent anyone else. He would therefore first need to become active again, and then file a pro hac vice petition with the courts.


Hope that clarifies.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you