How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34275
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a roofing contractor to replace the roof on my house.

This answer was rated:

I hired a roofing contractor to replace the roof on my house. They damaged multiple areas of my property in the amount of about $2,000. The contractor did give a discount on the total but it was not even close to the $2,000 worth of damages. The final invoice was short paid $500 to this contractor. The check said final roofing check and it was cashed. I have estimates of all damages. I received a letter from an attorney on the contractors behalf requesting I pay them the full amount of the invoice or dispute this with a letter returned to his office. I WILL NOT PAY THIS. How should I proceed?
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

What you describe, if the contractor damaged your property in the course of completing the contract? Then the contractor is liable for the damages incurred. Example: Say that there was a contract for $10K, and in the course of completing the contract, the contractor damaged your property to the tune of $2K? That would allow you to demand that the contractor either repair the damage caused or to reduce the fee by an amount to allow you to have the damaged property repaired.

But to require the contractor to repair the damages, or reimburse you for the cost of the damages, you must give the contractor notice, in writing, and an opportunity to correct the problem.

At this point, consider drafting a letter to the contractor that details the damages they caused. Also consider including a bid or two from a separate contractor contractors that gives a repair cost of the damages. Photographs can be good as well, to document the damages (in case you have to go to court, photos can be very helpful)

If they try and sue you, and you can prove they caused the damages, the court will require them to pay for the damages before they can be paid on the contract.

But you want to put this request in writing and give the contractor the opportunity to correct this problem to solidify your court case.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Their lawyer is asking for a response to his letter. He wants me to write him back if i dispute payment. Should I respond to their lawyer or send a letter directly to the contractor?

At this point you can do either. But best if you send to both. And, frankly, at this point since the contractor has a lawyer, you may want to consider having a lawyer represent you. If this lands in court, you will need one.
P. Simmons and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I gave you a good rating already. Thanks again.

Hey sir...sorry for the confusion. Just Answer sends out automated emails on occasion. Sounds like that happened. Best of luck to you sir