How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34466
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a debt from when I lived in Pa. I now live in Ky.

This answer was rated:

I have a debt from when I lived in Pa. I now live in
Ky. Does the statutes of limitations apply from Ky or Pa?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

If this is a credit card debt or a debt created by contract, then you need to check the contract because it is very likely that the choice of law provision is contained in the terms of the contract.

Otherwise, if a creditor sues you, in general, the SOL of the state in which the suit is filed are the enforceable ones. This often works to the advantage of a consumer who moves to a state with a shorter SOL than the one where the debt was created.

Therefore, if unstated in the contract, it is likely Kentucky.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information. I hope I have helped you feel informed and empowered in the service I have provided to you. I am here for you.

Since this forum is no substitute for your own legal counsel, you may want to verify the information I have provided with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

I am happy to answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The debt is with a collection agency. There has been no suit filed. Since I lived in Pa at the time the debt was incurred...will the have to file a law suit in Pa.?
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX following up with me and my apology for the delay.

No, assuming the underlying contract does not specify the state where suit must be brought, the collection agency generally, must file suit in the state where you reside for the court to have jurisdiction over you.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Loren and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Bob, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.