Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

According to US and international law, Puerto Rico has no power

According to US and international law, Puerto Rico has no power to borrow money from the International Money Fund. Puerto Rico is a colony of the United States. So why is Puerto Rico broke? Should not the goverment of the US absorb the losses rather than having wall street constantly declare our bonds tripple AAA negative. Is anyone paying attention to this phenomena or is the colonial government in Puerto Rico pulling the legs of the population in exacerbating the chronic economic condition to appease the multinational corporations so as to maintain the colonial condition.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, Puerto Rico has the benefits of being their own country and also of being allowed protection of the US laws as well. This issue with Puerto Rico has been going on for a long time I am afraid and this is why many have been fighting to either make Puerto Rico a state or cut them loose, but neither has happened and as such they continue to enjoy the benefits of the US laws such as bankruptcy and also supporting their government as well.

There is a US District Court and bankruptcy court in Puerto Rico and all of the US federal laws on bankruptcy apply there as you likely found out.

Congress appears to not ever want to deal with this matter and they have avoided it for years actually.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.