How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get a Passport and travel to Colombia if I Have a Felony

This answer was rated:

Can I get a Passport and travel to Colombia if I Have a Felony record?

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

This is actually two different questions. The first is whether under US law you can get a passport and whether there are any restrictions on your travel as far as the US is concerned. The second is whether Colombia has any restrictions on you entering that country. I can help you with the first question but I need to know if that is the one you need assistance with.


20+ years ago I got convicted for maintaining a dwelling.(3 plants in my closet). I still owe tax fines. I really need the answer for both questions.

Dwayne B. :

I'll exit then and open it back up. I don;'t think we have anyone on here who is an expert on both Colombian and US law but if we do they'll pick up.


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I suggest that if you owe taxes or fines to the US government you are going to be precluded from getting a passport.

Additionally, travel to Colombia would be permissible, if you had the passport, which I suggest you first have to pay your taxes/fines to obtain.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just found this post

Just got refused a USA visa because I got caught smoking marajuana around 20years ago. Can probably get a waiver but it takes around 2 months and I already have tickets and am supposed to leave in 6 weeks. Stupid thing is I'm going to Colombia and only have to change planes in New York. Reply to this



Well, I am not sure what that link is of what kind of waiver you think you can get. If you owe money to the US government, you are not getting a passport.

But if you want, I can opt out and allow another Professional to answer you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think that I owe the $ to the state.


The state - any state is the Government, but on a state level.
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience: More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Sam and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you