How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

me and my boyfriend have been living together as husband and

This answer was rated:

me and my boyfriend have been living together as husband and wife for a year and a half. he had a heart attack yesterday. we live in Alabama but are in texas for a vacation. please tell me if and what are my rights ?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, back in Alabama, have you:
1. Held yourselves to others as being married?
2. Have the capacity of being married? (You are not married to others at the time, are you?)
3. Did you agree to be married?

Please advise, as my answer to you is very dependent on your answers, thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. yes we have. 2. no we are not married to anyone else. 3. yes, we planned on being together until the end of ours life but he died after the heart attack

Thank you for your follow-up.


I am sorry that he passed away. Technically you can claim that you were 'common law spouses' in Alabama. Alabama happens to recognize common law marriages, and so does Texas, although Texas calls it an 'informal marriage'. Under those terms you can claim ALL the rights that any spouse would be entitled to and that includes being allowed to visit him, making funeral arrangements, picking options for the burial, and also pursuing his estate for a portion of benefits based on your status as his spouse. If someone blocks access, claim rights based on informal marriage spousal rights, and you should then not be denied access. If somehow you are, get the local courts to recognize your rights via an emergency hearing so that you can continue making such decisions on behalf of your spouse.


I am very sorry for your loss.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you