How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband was ordered to pay $1150 a month child support

This answer was rated:

My ex husband was ordered to pay $1150 a month child support in our court order from 2007. He has only paid this full amount approximately 4 times. Many months there was no payment at all, and when he does pay, it is what he feels is a fair amount.

The child support was never paid through the clerk of court. I am now ready to file to get the money paid. If I file for contempt for nonpayment, what kind of documentation do I need to show that he hasn't paid? Or is the burden of proof on him to show that he has paid it.

I can show 2011 to present...but it goes back to 2007. Am I just out of luck for not having it paid through the clerk?
Thank you for your response. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for informational purposes only.

There is what is known as a "sliding burden of proof" which means you first show the proof you have of what he has paid and then it is up to him to try to prove he paid more. You need to file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of court and should have had your attorney filing these every time he did not pay what he was supposed to pay to establish he is willfully refusing to abide by the court order and the court can award you attorney's fees on your contempt motions.

You can show any bank records you have that reflect any payments you received from him. You have to put your records together the best you can to show what he actually owes you in arrears. If you cannot come up with any records at all from 2007-2011, then this could be a problem, but you can seek proof through discovery to make him provide proof of his payments to help your case and your attorney will seek to have the court order him to produce those records.

Also, you need to ask the court for garnishment for future support in your motion.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you