Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My next door neighbors old dog wandered down to the road. A

My next door neighbors old...
My next door neighbors old dog wandered down to the road.
A guy picked her up and put an ad on craigslist.
I am the one who saw the ad and called my neighbor.
I recognized the dog because I had recently shaved her down myself.
She went to the guys house.
He gave the dog away and gave Pam my neighbor the peoples phone numbers.
They told her it wasn't her dog and to get over it.
Pretty sure they are lying.
The good Sam had taken the dog to a vet clinic and they confirmed these people picked her up from there.
What can we do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/27/2013
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

TJ, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

TJ, Esq. :

Your neighbor will need to sue the people who took the dog.

TJ, Esq. :

This is a small claims type of lawsuit, so they will not likely need an attorney (unless they want an attorney, of course).

TJ, Esq. :

In the lawsuit, they will have to prove that the dog is theirs. This could likely be done in a number of ways. But if the judge allows it, I would think that bringing the dog to court and having her interact with your neighbors would be sufficient evidence. After all, I would expect the dog to know her master. Of course, there may be other evidence as well, such as vet testimony, pictures, etc.

TJ, Esq. :

In order to sue in small claims court, they will need to visit the local court clerk and get the proper forms. The forms will need to be filled out, filed with the court clerk, and then the sheriff can serve the people who took the dog.

TJ, Esq. :

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for using our service!

If you would like to direct additional legal questions to me in the future, then please type "To TJ, Esq." in the subject line of your question.

TJ, Esq. :

It appears that you are offline at the moment. If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to respond at any time. I will be alerted.

To TJ, Esq..
Thank you so very much for your answer.
My neighbor and her two boys are so sad.
They struggle financially so I am trying to help the.
The only problem is we live in Tennessee and the people who have her are just up the road at Ft. Campbell , Kentucky.
The husband is a Sgt. In the Army.
Do we need to go to Kentucky to file a small claims lawsuit?
Hello again. Good to hear back from you.

Yes, I'm sorry to say that they'll need to file the lawsuit in Kentucky since that's where the defendants are located ... unless the defendants own property in Tennessee or work in Tennessee. If they do, then the lawsuit can be filed in Tennessee rather than Kentucky. This may warrant some investigation.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney