How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13642
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in 3 10 1975 I received an undesirable discharge,do I lose

This answer was rated:

in 3 10 1975 I received an undesirable discharge,do I lose my gun rights with that discharge,had 4 or 5 article 15 no felony just stupid 18 year old stuff awol fighting and running my mouth.I enter the army at age 17 just to imuture.of corse now at the age 57 it bothers me now that older .thank you for your time....randy
Thank you for your question.

An undesirable discharge is not a conviction, nor a dishonorable discharge, and therefore, you do not lose your rights to own a firearm. Do not let that question stop you.

The term undesirable discharge has in fact been replaced and is no longer used. Instead, a person can receive a general discharge (under honorable conditions) or an other than honorable discharge.
RobertJDFL and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what steps do I need to get this upgraded to a general discharge?


Thank you for the positive rating! Much appreciated.

In answer to your follow-up question:

I don't see it being possible, unfortunately, if I am being honest, because of the amount of time that has passed. You can apply for an upgrade within 15 years using form DD-293, but that no longer applies.

Therefore, your only option at this point would be to file a DD-149, and try to argue that the decision was either given in error, or was unjust.

The application is here. And this self-help guide may give you some more information on filling out the form.