Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My attorney stated he filed my case in henrico circuit court.

However I cannot find the...
My attorney stated he filed my case in henrico circuit court. However I cannot find the case number XXXXX I went online. I have great concern about this lawyer being truthful. The statutes of limitations will be up on this lawsuit in december 2013.
10/27/2013
Ray, Lawyer

Ray :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I am Ray and will be the expert assisting you today.

Ray :

Please don't panic yet the internet data bases in my experience may be missing a lot of data including your case.It would be very unusual for your lawyer to give you a case number XXXXX is non existent.I would call Monday morning and see if you have a problem or not.

Ray :

Here is that number for you.

Ray :

Clerk of Court

Mailing address:
P. O. Box 90775
Henrico, VANNN-NN-NNNN

Delivery Address:
4301 E. Parham Road
Courthouse Bldg., Rm. 240
Henrico, VA 23228

Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Ray :

If you find out here that he hasn't done what he says he has then you file a professional complaint and consider another lawyer as options.

Ray :

File complaint here.

Ray :

Honestly the whole judicial data bases have delays and errors so you just cannot rely on them totally sometimes you have to call and see if you have a problem or not.

Ray :

Like anything else relatively new it has problems sometimes.They are working on it but it is a work in progress.

Customer:

I have great concern, scheduled calls have never been returned until October 26th, 2013 and I don't see any dates on the paper work or any court stamps on the paper work received and case number XXXXX manually written in on paperwork. The Statutes of Limitations are up December, 2013.

Ray :

Well on Monday once you call you will know if you have a problem or not.If it is not filed a lawyer complaint here and a new lawyer are in order.You can demand in writing to have your files returned and be released from any contract you have with lawyer.

Ray :

I hope this is not the case and that there is in fact a suit filed.

Ray :

And this would be public record you can get certified copies of it if it has been filed.If it has not then you have good evidence to attach to a complaint.

Ray :

The lawyer can be sanctioned here for such conduct up to disbarment.

Ray :

I understand why you are concerned here.

Ray :

There is still time if necessary to get another lawyer on this and to file a complaint.You might also have a good malpractice complaint as well.

Ray :

I mean it would be extraordinary if the lawyer flat out lied on this but having been a lawyer for 30 years you never know.You see some pretty strange things.

Ray :

This would certainly be a malpractice type issue and also a grievance one as well.

Customer:

If the suit is not filed where do I file a complaint? Since this is an automobile accident he took the case on contingency. I understand that another lawyer will file the complaint. Is this accurate?

Ray :

File complaint here.

Ray :

And the lawyer here would need to release you.Under such facts it would be in their interest to do so immediately.

Ray :

I do hope that isn't the case.

Ray :

You also have plenty of time on malpractice suit if that becomes necessary.

Ray :

Legal Malpractice, 3 or 5 years (Depending on the type of contract or agreement)

Va. Code § 8.01-246(2) or (4)

Ray :

I really think you will find a lawsuit here.This would really be such a basic malpractice and grievance issue to lie to you that its hard to think he would do this.

Ray :

But you can find out real quick on Monday and go from there.

Ray :

I appreciate the chance to help you today.

Ray :

I can understand you being anxious about this.

Customer:

Have a great day and again I thank you for the information.

Ray :

You are so welcome.You can check your lawyer here for complaints--priors..

Ray :

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.

Ray :

Good luck with all.

Ray, Lawyer

Dear Ray,

I did call the Circuit Court on Tuesday, and they verified that the case has been filed.

I wish to thank you again for the information and direction you have given me during my very trying time.

Regards,

Gloria

You are so welcome Gloria I wish you the best..
Ray, Lawyer