How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118254
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My widowed father died without a will. He lived with my sister,

This answer was rated:

My widowed father died without a will. He lived with my sister, who had cut off all communication with me many years ago. We have a brother, with whom she communicates, however he has been estranged from me for the majority of my adult life.

Shortly after my father's funeral I received a letter from my brother's lawyer requesting a meeting regarding my father's estate. (Due to the lack of communication, I did not even know he had any assets.) I understand that someone has to be chosen to be in charge of distributing the estate equally. I am assuming that either my brother or my sister would like to be in charge, which would be okay, however, in light of the lack of communication, how would I be kept informed of exactly what is happening, and how would I know that the process is being handled correctly?

Also, is there a reason why I would be required to attend such a meeting or is there another way that I can give my input?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The person administering the estate has to provide full disclosure of the estate to all heirs, which is likely the reason for this meeting. Without a will, the three of you would be sharing his estate in equal parts, so at the meeting the attorney should be providing you with an accounting of the estate so that you would know what is going on and how much is in the estate along with the debts of the estate that have to be paid and what property would have to be sold or distributed to the heirs.

You would be required to attend the meeting for the attorney chosen to represent the estate to explain the process he will go through and to determine if there are preferences about an administrator and to discuss the terms of the estate so all heirs are informed about the estate.

As far as the process going correctly, you would be entitled to copies of everything filed in the probate, which you can get through the clerk of the probate court if the attorney does not send them to you. Also, you are free to have your own attorney engaged to monitor the probate process, since you seem to be removed from the process and have a possible distrust of the other heirs and possibly the administrator of the estate.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your knowledgeable answer. I have no choice but to involve my attorney. Is there a possibility that he can handle this for me without my having to attend such a meeting?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you should involve your attorney. He can indeed handle the meeting without your attendance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have only received copied of the communications from October of 2013. Could you please answer the questions I have sent you a few minutes ago?

Thank you for your reply.

I see no questions you posted a few minutes ago. Furthermore, this response is 289 days old so to continue in this thread please accept the email offer you are receiving and then reply with your new questions.