How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My small poodle-mix dog was attacked in the park here in Fort

This answer was rated:

My small poodle-mix dog was attacked in the park here in Fort Collins by a pit bull 2 weeks ago. We were helped to the nearest Vet where he had surgery for multiple lacerations and puncture wounds around the neck and torso. He has been treated there since then and I have paid @ $1800.00 in fees thus far.
The owner of the pit bull said that he would set up a payment plan with the vet to cover my expenses but has not shown up to do so despite several phone calls from me. He is a student (26 years old) and I don't know what his resources are. I doubt that he will follow through with his promise.
What options do i have to collect the $1800.00 from him?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I suggest that you write this person a letter and reiterate your verbal agreement. Tell him that the Vet is willing to accommodate a payment schedule and that the cost of the bill was $1800. Tell him he has 5 days from receipt of the letter to contact the Vet and do as verbally agreed or you will have no other option but to file in small claims, which will not only result in a judgment but also he will have to pay any associated legal costs. Tell him you do not want to do this but you will have no other choice. State that once you get the judgment you will file a lien to get his wages garnished.

This letter must be mailed Certified with a return receipt requested.

Of course, if he does not work out the arrangement with the Vet then I suggest you file in Small Claims court

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said, the owner is a student and has no wages to garnish. I have been assuming that if he has no income, I have no way to collect anything from him…….

Do you have any other suggestions?


Well, he may work part time as a student.

And additionally, a lien against him would kick in should he have any type of winfall.

That would be the only thing you can do.
Sam and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you