How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a couple who rented space in my house owes me money since 97-98owes

This answer was rated:

a couple who rented space in my house owes me money since 97-98owes me 4800 dollars,they disappeared and i could not locate them,nor wwas able a collection agency to locate them.i recently found the papers that are related to this affair,qand i was able to locate them they live now in florida i live in ny,can i still collect?my typing is bad,i never typed in my life before,my secretary or my wife did all the typing,my wife died and i am 76 and retired so i do not need a secretary on my deth bed my typing will be perfect. another question.i am a physician,an inernist. in 94-96 iwas investigated by medicare and medicaid.a peer reviewed my records first i was suspended from the medicaid program then from the medicare program,the ny opmc ruled in my favour,now i had a licence but as an internist i was finished.i almost killed my self with a lethal dose of digitalis and was hospitalized for about 15 days, suffered from relentless depression my whole life but once prozac came out my depression was controlled,during this painful affair my depression flared up again. i had to represent myself since i had no income since 94 and could not afford a lawyer recently i found all the papers that have to do with this most paifull time in my life,i assumed my fife discarded them.i gleaned through through the documents and discovered that the peer who reviewed my records twisted things,lied etc. people who are very depressed have frequently poor judgment.i intend to take this case to the opmc and in case the opmc agrees with me to sue this doctor, can i still do it?
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today. I need a little more information.

Did you obtain a court ordered judgment against couple ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i did but then the couple went to to the judge and waved the order, i am unable to decipher his hand writing.

if the judge vacated the order granting you payment then you cannot collect. The statute of limitation on contractual debt is 6 years. If the debt was owed in 1998 you had until 2004.

If you have a judgment on the debt the statute of limitation is 20 years and you could still collect. It would be to your advantage to find out if a judgment on the debt obligation was ever issued.

While the result may not be to you advantage. The law is what the law is. Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).
Jack R. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you