How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9409
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

cite court cases

This answer was rated:

I'd like to know how to reference a court case. For the most part I understand that the parties come first, then the reporter, then lastly the year the case happened. However I'm a bit confused about finding and referencing page numbers. I don't have Lexis Nexis, only Google. I pull up cases on Google and they don't for example always have the reporter information, and, also I have no idea how I would reference a certain sentence or paragraph specifically inside the record. For example here is one particular court case I came across:

In the first link is the full record but with no mention of the reporter nor paragraph nor page numbers. In the second link there is the reporter at the top of the first page, and numbered paragraphs, but no page numbers. So in this instance I so far have... Kenman Engineering v. City of Union, 314 F3d 468 (2002). However say I want to cite in my motion a line from the record on paragraph would I further reference that?

If you do not have the page number you can cite to the paragraph number but you can find the paginated version of most cases at any law library.

There is a mostly paginated version of the Kenman case here with the page numbers in the left margin.

Citations to the record are usually to the page and line number in the Clerk's Transcript, like this: C.T. 16:5-8. Citations to reporters transcripts of the trial or hearings can be done like this: DATE R.T. page:line(s).

If this does not answer your question, please tell me prior to rating my answer.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the Excellent rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again. Thanks for the great info. The motion which I intend to file will be a "vacate of judgment" according to Rule 60 of the Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure. However there is also a Rule 360 inside the Colorado Rules of County Court Civil Procedure. Inside my motion I am wondering which rule to reference; or, does it matter? It was the county court which had passed the judgment in my case; however, in my instance the county court is also the district court (it's a large county and so it has its own district). The motion I intend to it the county court or district court that I am to file it in (actually they're the same). However I would like to know for the sake of which rule should I reference.

Did the pleadings filed in this case refer to the court as the County Court or the District Court?

Has the Court itself issued any ruling or document that identifies which Court it is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says "county court", clear as crystal on the cover page of the transcript.

That appears to be the answer to your question. You would be moving under Rule 360 of the COLORADO RULES OF COUNTY COURT CIVIL PROCEDURE which is available through

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the Excellent rating!