How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118637
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im an American born citizen in need of legal assistance in

This answer was rated:

I'm an American born citizen in need of legal assistance in Uruguay. I'm trying to get a foreign passport issued to me from Uruguay (Im of Uruguayan descent). However , there are some caveats, which is where your help comes in. I will need the passport issued under a name other than my birth name. Also, It is imperative there be no public record of such a matter.
Thank you for your question. I am sorry, but what you are asking, whether easy or not to do, is illegal and we are not allowed to provide information about illegal acts.

You can get a refund by contacting customer service at
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What about getting a name change, have it sealed from public record, then get the passport. I'm not familiar with the specifics in Uruguay.
Thank you for your clarification.

You can file in NY for a name change, but court records are public records and the NY courts will not seal them unless you can prove that you would be in some actual physical danger if this information was known to the public. Once you get a name change, then the problem becomes Uruguay, which will require you to produce a birth certificate proving your nationality of parents to get citizenship unless you move there and apply for naturalization as a citizen and even then you have to provide proof of your name change because they will ask and they will find it. This is really an impossible mission legally to completely conceal your identity from the US end and you can talk to a Uruguay lawyer about on their end, but from what I found you are going to have to provide proof of birth (which would be something the court can change as part of the name change process) BUT you would also have to prove your Uruguay descent and that is where you would run into the disclosure problem.

You could instead of trying based on descent try for immigration and naturalization status like any foreigner without Uruguay descent, which is where you would have to talk to the attorney in Uruguay and you can find one at the same site used by attorneys,

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you