How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118111
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2000 Ford F 150 belonging to a visiting family caught fire

This answer was rated:

2000 Ford F 150 belonging to a visiting family caught fire (confirmed by fire marshal and forensics expects); in turn catching my home on fire. Damages exceeded home owner insurance reimbursement (I have repaired the home). My insurance company sued Ford for reimbursement to them for what they paid me. Do I have any legal recourse against Ford?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have not received full compensation for the damages, you can sue the owner of the vehicle, under their insurance which should cover the damages, and you can also sue Ford and prove it was a defect in their product that caused the fire. Generally, your attorney would sue both the owner of the vehicle and Ford both to ensure you have named all responsible parties and to seek the maximum reimbursement for your damages.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the truck owner is my sister; must I sue her before I can name Ford?

Thank you for your response.

If she has auto insurance, then you need to sue her as well. If she has no insurance, you can sue just Ford and prove this fire was caused by some type of defect in the truck, but if you cannot find any defects that caused the fire (you have to see what your insurance company proved) then you may not be able to win and that all would have to be examined.
Law Educator, Esq. and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you kindly.


Thank you. I wish you the best.