How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a neighbor that has been harassing my 13 year old son.

This answer was rated:

I have a neighbor that has been harassing my 13 year old son. She has been doing this for 4 years now, but things have escalated over the past year. Twice, for example, she has approached my son while he was on our property (she stayed in the road) and cussed him out. The first time was around 10:30PM on a Saturday night as they were playing "spotlight." This was not past curfew. She called the cops and said the kids were waling in the middle of the road and being disrespectful. A complaint was filed. The second time (today) my son and his friends were chopping wood and another friend came by on a four wheeler. They were all joking around and my son and his friends were telling the rider to "get off my lawn." They bantered back and forth all in good nature and understand some cuss words may have been used. This neighbor comes out of nowhere to edge of my yard and starts cussing my son out and finally told him she was going to beat his a**. I have spoken to an adult witness and the kids individually and they all have the same story. I called one of the boy's mother and she had received a call from the threatening neighbor telling a completely different story and that she was going to call the cops. This mother talked her out of it. What can I do? I do not want her railroading me out of a neighborhood where I have lived for over 20 years.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Good grief. Have you considered contacting the police yourself over this harassment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Her husband is a cop and one of her best friends is the County Sheriff! She told my neighbor she was going to take care of this (whatever "this" is) as she lives with a cop now. This is a very small town.


I am sorry that you are being exposed to this. Typically calling the police, even if you do not expect that to do anything, is not just a good idea, it is a requirement so you can create a possible 'paper trail' in case this situation escalates. You may also consider filing for a restraining order against this person as he is actively making threats against a minor.

Then, if that does not work, likewise contact the sheriff and have them pursue. If you are getting stonewalled, contact their internal affairs division, or contact the state's Attorney General's office and request that they help investigate this, but only do so after the police and the sheriff fail to assist you. The fact that he claims that he has friends there does not mean that you cannot obtain some sort of recourse--you still need to try it first.

Hope that helps.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you