How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a defendant wont produce his bank records because he says

This answer was rated:

If a defendant won't produce his bank records because he says he throws them out can I by a motion to compel get him to ask his banks for the records and give them to me?

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Actually, the best way to go about receiving these bank records would be to subpoena the records from the bank directly pursuant to the lawsuit that you currently have against the defendant.

You can certainly try for a motion to compel, but it'd be easier if you just subpoena the records from the bank directly.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. (It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit). Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please reply to the question. If the defendant doesn't have the bank statements (because he threw them out) can't we force him to contact his banks and get the statements and "produce them" to us?

Then if he won't produce them can't we make him do so by filing a motion to compel?
Hello Linda,

Not unless you had that request in the subpoena for bank account records. Otherwise a person is only required to deliver records that are in his or her possession, and not under an obligation to go to the bank to request these records.

If not, you will need to contact the bank directly to obtain access to the defendant's bank account information.

So, in short, no, you will need to file a separate subpoena with the bank directly to gain access to the defendant's bank account records.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well that won't work because I have no idea where the defendant banks and don't have account numbers. I am entitled to the information because it is relevant to the lawsuit.



You can compel the defendant to give you that information pursuant to your subpoena for his bank account records.

If you've yet to do that, you can do it through interrogatories. He would be forced to answer your question or object to it. If he challenges relevance, you may be required to demonstrate how the bank account records are relevant to the law suit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wel the info is definitely relevant. So you think we should just ask for all bank accounts and bank account numbers for 4 years, all securities accounts and their numbers etc for 4 years? In interrogatories?

In this case assets were sold and the money was put into the accounts of defendants friends but we don't know who the friends are. How can we get that info?
You can definitely do so, although it's quite possible that the judge would find that request overly broad.

I really don't think you can get the defendant's friends information through the bank account or otherwise, although you can try through interrogatories.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Thank you for your post. A different professional here. I see that you relisted the answers from your previous professional. How specifically can I assist you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wasn't satisfied with the answers. Can you review my questions and respond please?

Thank you for your follow-up.


I have reviewed the answers and I happen to agree with answers provided. A 'motion to compel' only requires someone to provide records they personally have on-hand (which is why before suit many companies or individuals shred their own documents so as to avoid producing them to others). But going straight to the source, ie the banks, makes more sense--banks would have to respond directly to a subpoena request signed by the judge. Obtaining the numbers to the accounts would need to be done via interrogatories which the parties would have to answer unless they can demonstrate that the question is not relevant, out of scope, or overly broad. What the previous expert suggested is the most certain way of obtaining the information.


I apologize if you felt unsatisfied, but in this instance it would be the same approach I would consider taking on if I were in your position. Please take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What about if we notice the defendants deposition and request all the documents we need. Then if the defendant doesn't being everything. Do as much depo as needed and continue it until information provided by defendant or through subpoenas to banks.

Can you do the deposition in several parts as the information comes in?

Thank you for your follow-up.


A deposition is generally done once unless new evidence is found and a formal request is made to courts to request a new deposition. That is done to save costs--depositions can be notoriously expensive both sides, so requesting a new deposition over a few questions could be deemed as inefficient and also as a means of intentionally running up costs. Subpoenas could be requested as time goes on with the finding of new information.


Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So my only option is to request bank account numbers and bank names by interrogatories .

I need the bank numbers and names for the defendant,s relative and 2 adult kids because some of the money was deposited in them by the defendant.

How can I get the information for people's accounts who are not parties from the defendant?

You would need to make them parties--you could potentially attach them as co-defendants and then pursue them for the alleged funds (if any) that they may be holding in their accounts. Then you could subpoena records directly from them and attempt to track and trace the funds and how they were deposited to them.


Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am hesitant to make them parties unless I know they did something wrong. Can I get this info from the defendant I any way?
The defendant's own bank records may prove or show if a transfer took place. But he only has to reply pertaining to his own records, not a third party. And if that third party is not a party to the case, they likewise do not have to provide you with any information. That is akin of me coming to you and asking you to provide me with your neighbor's bank records. There is obviously no duty on your party to do so, and instead you would need to go to the neighbor for those records directly.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you

You are most welcome, truly.


If satisfied with my work, kindly do not forget to positively rate my answers to you so that I can obtain credit for assisting you this evening.


Thank you!

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will do it!
I truly appreciate it! Please be well and take care!