How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of a offense in 2000, released from prison

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of a sex offense in 2000, released from prison in 2003 and was to do 10 years probation after my prison time. I transferred my probation from Florida to Michigan in 2003 after released from prison. I did 9 years of probation with 0 violations and no problems what so ever. Feb 14, 2012 MDOC decided to change me from probation to parole for no apparent reason, made me move from my residence of 3 years to a half way house and put me on a GPS. this was all done with no notice and no reason. I did research and found out that MI law stated that GPS for sex offenders were for persons released on or after June 1, 2006 from prison, I was clearly released well before that date. I fought the GPS for several months and finally proved that I did not belong on it. MDOC violated the law and altered my life in a very negative way by doing this. Do I have any lawsuit recourse against the MDOC

Hello Jay,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney and am very happy to try and answer your question today. I am truly sorry for your predicament but am pleased to share some good news with you.

Yes, you do have good reason to explore seeking recourse. In fact, there is a specific cause of action pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983. This would be a civil case seeking monetary damages. Here is more good news. Screening for such a case is provided free of charge to you. Here is a list of where you can get such a screening on the merits by a plaintiffs' trial attorney if interested:

Massachussettes Board Certified Civil Attorneys

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me. I will be sure to check back for any further word from you when I am again working online in this forum.

I truly hope all works out for you and that the information I have provided proves useful. Thanks so much for using this service!

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Jay,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D.