How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1612
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 traffic violations from California that I am being

This answer was rated:

I have 2 traffic violations from California that I am being harassed about right now. I paid these tickets back in 2006 via money order, but California claims that I still owe them. I recently tried to renew my drivers license in Utah and it was suspended in California. I spoke with the Cal dmv and was told that I only owed a $50 reinstatement fee, which I then paid. Now, months later, I received notification about a failure to pay. Does California have the ability to garnish my wages if I live in Utah? Is there anything I can do to take care of this nonsense without paying them money?

Thelawman2 :

You have two choices. One, is to pay the fee and fines outstanding just to get rid of the problem. The other way is to sue the California DMV for saying you have not paid when you actually have. If you are going to sue, you will need to provide some sort of proof that you have paid the fines and fees (for instance, an account statement showing that you paid the $50). You may not have evidence of the 2006 paid tickets, but if you can show that you paid the $50 and CA says you have not, then you can at least discredit what they are saying. I would suggest hiring a traffic attorney where your unpaid tickets are to help you out with the process.

Thelawman2 :

As for the garnishment of wages, California could only garnish your wages after obtaining a court order against you saying that you owe the money.

Thelawman2 and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you