How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116837
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does it mean when a Judge in Federal Civil litigation

This answer was rated:

What does it mean when a Judge in Federal Civil litigation denies a Motion For Leave to Amended a Complaint, but leaves the filed Amended complaint in the record, which Defendants filed an objection to AFTER the Court denied Leave to Amend, and now the Court requires Plaintiff to respond to the Defense's Motion to Dismiss on an Amended complaint the Court refers to as "not yet ripe for review"? How can Leave be denied, but the Amended Complaint still stand active for debate?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the proposed amended complaint was filed with the motion for leave to amend and the motion was denied, then the proposed amended complaint is not active and does not have to answer. The defendant seems to be objecting to the filing of the denied amended complaint. The plaintiff would have to file an objection to the defendant's objection and argue just what you stated above, that the motion to leave was denied and thus they are seeking to dismiss a complaint which was never accepted by the court and as such would be a moot motion to dismiss.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if it is relevant, but the Court stated it was denied because it sought to amend in such a way that was inconsistent with what the Court ordered in granting Defendant's Motion to dismiss of a prior amended complaint. The Court wanted to limit the claims, which this went beyond. In an "Omnius Order" the court denied Plaintiff's reconsideration of that Order which was filed before the Amended Complaint. So this may be a procedural issue.

Thank you for your response.

This sounds like you need to file an objection to your defendant's motion to dismiss and then consider filing another amended complaint and motion for leave with the properly formatted complaint addressing only the limited issues the court is trying to get you to limit.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you