Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Our son wants to give up his parental rights for his 1.5 year

Our son wants to give up his parental rights for his 1.5 year old daughter because the mom (they are not a couple any longer) says he will not have to pay child support. I think she is trying to talk him into this so her new "love" can adopt her if they become a couple. If our son does not give up his parental rights, can she still be adopted by someone else? Also, does relinquishing his parental mean he no longer would be required to pay child support? This is in the state of Minnesota, if that matters.

Chris T., JD :

Good morning. I'd be glad to assist you with your question.

Customer:

Good morning.

Chris T., JD :

If your son doesn't give up his parental rights, no, the child cannot be adopted. Adoption can only take place where one (or both) parents are deceased or have had their parental rights terminated, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Customer:

That's what I thought. How about the child support? She keeps telling him he wouldn't have to keep paying that if he gives up his parental rights.

Chris T., JD :

If he does wan to voluntarily terminate his parental rights, the court will typically order a hearing. If his rights are terminated, child support obligations will cease. Keep in mind that doing so will cause him to lose all visitation rights. He will effectively no longer be the child's parent.

Customer:

Ok. This helps us very much. Thank you!

Chris T., JD :

Glad to help. Do you have any questions?

Customer:

That was it. Now I have to try and convince our son to not listen to the ex-girlfriend and not give up his parental rights.

Customer:

Thanks again.

Chris T., JD :

Glad I could help you.

Customer:

Have a great day!

Chris T., JD :

If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck to you and your son.

Customer:

I will do that. Thanks

Chris T., JD :

Great. If you have any questions in the future, I'd be glad to assist you with them. All you need to do is post a question to the end of this chat and I'll be able to assist you.

Chris T., JD :

If I can't help you with anything else right now, please "rate" the answer using the set of faces below.

Customer:

Sorry, I'm trying to figure out how to print out our chat so I can show our son....

Chris T., JD :

It will always be accesible through your profile. I

Customer:

Oh. Ok. Thanks again.

Chris T., JD :

I've found that the best way to print it is simply to "copy and paste" it to a Word file and print it from there.

Chris T., JD :

Also, once you rate the answer, it will convert to a format easy to pring.

Chris T., JD :

*print.