How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife stole 25k out of our safe and put in her accounts....

This answer was rated:

My wife stole 25k out of our safe and put in her accounts.... What can I do?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Are you in the process of divorcing your wife?

Did you address this situation with your wife?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She took my money that I had in our safe and got a divorce lawyer with it.... I told her to not take it unless I had a balance sheet and access to the accounts... I am in the process of divorcing her...

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you also consult and retain local divorce attorney to represent you in your upcoming divorce?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not yet... I'm waiting to see what she wants to do with the joint property....
Can I sue her? She didn't adhere to the stipulations on taking the money.... Now I don't have any funds to secure a place for myself.. Can I have her go to jail over this?

Unfortunately, California is a community state, which means all of the assets that are acquired during the marriage belong to both spouses and in a situation similar to the one you have described in your question, it would be important to document the fact that your wife did take $25k without your permission from the safe and this issue will have to be addressed by your local attorney in the divorce case and the court will review this issue and hopefully will order her to pay you back half of the money or will give you credit for half of the money when other community property gets divided between you and your wife.

Unfortunately, when is comes to any type of financial matter between spouses, the police would not get involved and also any legal claims would have to be pursued in the local family court during the divorce proceedings.

You can find an experienced local divorce attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you