How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Veteran who is on disability and my wife wants to have

This answer was rated:

I am a Veteran who is on disability and my wife wants to have me declared incompetent. I pay all my bills on time and I give my wife 600.00 a month out of my disability. I have a sizable account of money in the bank. I also paid for a cruise for her which was around 2000.00. I own about 20 guitars which I play some of them every day. The problem is that my wife said that if she finds out that I buy another guitar, she will have me declared incompetent. I also pay for her medical insurance. My psychiatrist said he would write a letter to attest to my competence. Can she do this
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

Only a court can declare a person incompetent. A court will hold a competency hearing if your wife's intent is to take over managing your financial affairs. If your psychiatrist finds you are competent it is unlikely your wife could get a judge to declare you incompetent.

In any case your wife would need a lot more that complaining of your love of guitars. Some people collect stamps, coins etc. You collect guitars. This is not a sign of mental incompetency.

You can also caution your wife that if a court appoints a financial conservator, the cost will be a lot more than a few guitars every year.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Jack R. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Additionally I moved to Colorado with my part of the selling of my fathers house. I left with 35000.00 and moved into an apartment out there. I purchased season tickets to the Colorado Avalanche hockey team. I became ill out there and could no longer go to the games so I tried to sell as many as I could. My wife also brings that up. I had to return to PA in 2011 and that is when all this started.


Being unable to attend how games is not enough to establish that you incompetent to handle you financial affairs either.


I appreciate the rating. If and when you get a survey from Just Answer please be sure to rate me highly 9 or 10.


Again thank you and should you have future questions please put for Jack R. in the subject line.