How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102505
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is Fannie. If my church sponsors activities for youth,

This answer was rated:

This is Fannie. If my church sponsors activities for youth, should there be a consent form for each activity? example, trip to movie and participation in a baseball game
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Well, this depends on what you mean by "consent." As in, general consent from parents? Or consent for the children to participate in activity and limit on liability?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Ely, that was a very open question. It actually involves both. Should there be a parental or guardian consent form signed for the child to participate in each activity or can one form cover multiple activities under one heading such as "Diakonos Teen Community Service"? Below is the first paragraph of the form.

" In consideration of your accepting me or my child for participation in the above named program,
activity, or sport, I hereby, for myself, my heirs, executors, and administrators, waive and release
any and all rights and claims for damages that I may have against Diakonos Ministries and
its agents, employees, representatives, successors and assigns for any and all injuries suffered by
myself or my child that arise out of the above named program, activity, or sport sponsored by"

Thank you for your clarification.

Should there be one? Well, it is not legally necessary. In other words, there is no law that states that all parents should provide a consent/waiver form.

However, is there a good ideathat there be one? Yes. This is because:

1) The entity would want to show that it had all the rights to control the child on the field trip (doctrine of in loco parentis) and to make decisions for them in cases of emergencies, etc; and

2) It is not a bad idea to also have the parents waive their rights to pursue suit if something was to happen to their child(ren). This minimizes liability of the church.


I, __________, hereby give permission for ______ to take my child, ____________, of whom I am a lawful parent/guardian, to (location/field trip) AND/OR engage in the following activity: ____________.

In doing so, I am giving (Church name), hereinafter "Church," the right to make reasonable decisions for the child's well-being and emergency if necessary during the duration of this activity.

In addition, for reasonable and binding consideration, I hereby waive any/all rights of pursuit of civil litigation against the Church for any tortuous action, negligence, and/or breach of contract on behalf of the child for the duration of the activity described above.

This waiver extends to my agents, employees, representatives, successors and assigns, and covers the Church and its agents, employees, representatives, successors and assigns.

This may be a good example.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your gratuity.