Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

The judgement against me was won by this attorney who stated

he was an animal law...
The judgement against me was won by this attorney who stated he was an animal law attorney but apparently did not have very much experience. This person also had a conflict of interest which I did not know about which explains why he let animal control trample on my rights and ultimately did nothing to prevent a golden retriever from being killed without a court hearing. Because he is an attorney he has all the advantages afforded him even though he padded his fees, did not have a valid state corporation to do business, turned out to also be a divorce attorney as well. How would you handle a situation where you were defrauded or got taken? Knowing this individual will continue to do this because he seems protected by our courts and laws.
10/16/2013
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Thanks for coming back to JustAnswer.

You say the attorney who won the judgment against you. I just want to make sure that I understand your question. The attorney you are complaining about was not your attorney, but was the attorney for the person who sued you?

This was the attorney I retained. After I thought the bill was settled, i never received a statement or anything for almost a year. Then suddenly, there was a statement for $7000. I paid through out the entire time he worked for me, no way is in an expert, he also specializes in Family Law!? What can i legally do so others are not taken by this fraud. IN COURT, reported that his corporation was suspended, irregularities in billing, found out he had a conflict of interest during my case, what he billed does not appear to match what he did. Mainly he failed to challenge animal control when they violated california animal law.

Thanks for the clarification.

You have a situation of attorney malpractice and potential ethics violations for failing to disclose the conflict of interest.

The first thing you should do is file a dispute with the California state bar at: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/FilingaComplaint.aspx

You should also request a fee arbitration to dispute the overcharged fees that the attorney has charged you: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/MemberServices/FeeArbitration.aspx

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Zachary
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

One more question. At the time i retained this attorney, apparently his california corporation is listed as suspended in 2006. I retained him in 2009. He won a judgement in small claims court in 2012. It states that he is not allowed to conduct business or sue. Yet he has a judgement against me. Is the judgement valid or can it be set aside? Who do I report this too? What are my options?

One more question. At the time i retained this attorney, apparently his california corporation is listed as suspended in 2006. I retained him in 2009. He won a judgement in small claims court in 2012. It states that he is not allowed to conduct business or sue. Yet he has a judgement against me. Is the judgement valid or can it be set aside? Who do I report this too? If he wasnt suppose to be conducting business or was doing so illegally in the first place, how can he then sue and obtain a judgement when he was violating the law?

Ii had an additional question but I think it was not sent to you. It is following this reply online
Will you be responding to me question dated 10/15 at 11:25pm? Do I need to pay for the question? It isn't clear as to when to pay or it is included Thank you
I'll respond here.

The fact that the attorney's corporation was suspended does not suspend the attorney's license to practice law, and the attorney may continue to do so as a sole proprietor rather than a corporation. All of the attorney client agreements which were signed under his corporate name will transfer to him individually. In other words, the fact that the corporation was suspended does not help you here.

You say that the attorney has a judgment against you? Is this for unpaid fees that he is claiming you owe?
Yes he claimed the fees is for work he performed. Work was completed at least one year prior to one day I received a bill from him.. This is the billed he then used against me in small claims court I did not receive a bill from him before hand. While he worked for me, he would present the bill in his office. And never sent then by mai lmonthly.i would review statement in his office and write a check. The last time I wrote a check I questioned the balance and never heard back from him. I never formally had an opportunity to review the entire bill or ask questions.

By all accounts, it appears this attorney did nothing wrong for which I can prove-- not even the strange method of billing or suspended corporate account. You recommended filing a complaint with the bar. There appears nothing from your analysis that he can be held accountable for. A conflict of interest, over billing is my word against his I assume.based in your response everything in the eyes of the court is legal. I don't want to file a bar complaint if it will come back as unwarranted.
I certainly understand and think you are wise to proceed with caution. It is very hard for me to fully understand your situation, as all I have to go on are our exchanges here.

If he represented to you that he was an expert in animal law, but then he failed to do certain basic challenges, then this might be a case of attorney malpractice. If he had a conflict of interest, then this is a breach of the ethical rules.

What is the conflict of interest you believe he had?
I hired him to stop animal control from abusing the process. The head of animal control was his contact and he could pick up the phone and talk with her anytime. Btw, my dog nipped 2people and I did compensate both for their injuries., as it was my fault.i used a different attorney to do this and lucky I did. This attorney was hi red because he was supposedly an expert and did nothing to dispute animal control errors, he even tricked me into going to a meeting at animal control where they ambushed me into signing a legal stipulation. He talked his way out of it. It goes on and on. Ultimately I got the head of animal control fired as a result of this fiasco, but my dog was murdered illegally with a warrant that was not written by a qualified person. This attorney did not do anything to stop either or contest it. Because of knowingly trampling my rights under the law, I was going to sue to recover money, but he said he would not assist or refer me. He said the district attorney will defend animal control even though animal control caused the dogs death illegally. Said I had no case. However, bob Wagman a prominent animal law attorney I paid him 5000.00 to review the case , said I did possibly have a claim. I was leaning toward doing it until this attorney intervened and spoke with mr Wagman the pressured me. I backed out because if this attorney spoke to mr Wagman I could never be sure how far or what he would do to sabotage the case.
Well, it's up to you in the end as to how far you want to push the issue. If an expert in animal law said that you have claim for malpractice, then I would trust that advice.

Is it true that the attorney will try and stop you from doing this by using his personal sway with people? Probably yes.

I do not see the conflict of interest on the attorney's part, however.
TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney