ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is pepper spray legal in Hawaiil

Is it legal to carry pepper spray in Honolulu, Hawaii?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

Customer :

ok

ScottyMacEsq :

If you're over 18 years old and the amount carried is 1/2 ounce or less, then yes, it's absolutely legal. The main restrictions are with the sellers, which have to be licensed. Their ID will be checked, but no background check is performed.

ScottyMacEsq :

If you are 18 or older, it is legal for you to buy pepper spray for self-defense from a licensed retailer, under Section 41-37 of the Revised Ordinances of Honolulu. There are no restrictions on people with a previous criminal conviction, including felonies, according to the Honolulu Police Department. It is illegal to use pepper spray for any purpose except in self-defense, in defense of another person, or to protect your or someone else's property.

Much of the Honolulu law deals with the seller, who not only has to be licensed but has to provide a briefing about the spray before completing the sale, including proper use and disposal of the spray, and its limitations; get a signed acknowledgment from the purchaser that a briefing was given; post a copy of the license; and keep records of pepper sprays sold or distributed for at least five years.

Customer :

when did the law come in to effect

ScottyMacEsq :

One moment...

ScottyMacEsq :

It appears 1995 is when that ordinance was added to the Honolulu Ordinances.

Customer :

where can I buy it?

ScottyMacEsq :

From any licensed vendor.

ScottyMacEsq :

I'm sorry, but I can't find a list of vendors that have been licensed, if that's what you're asking for...

Customer :

so look in phone book?

ScottyMacEsq :

I would do so (for self defense, or "police supply", or maybe military surplus)

Customer :

ok I'll look for it. Mahalo for your help

ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you

Customer :

aloha

ScottyMacEsq :

And to you as well. Thank you