How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am in fountain colorado i have a 4 year old that is sick

Customer Question

i am in fountain colorado i have a 4 year old that is sick i have money coming in the mail but not fast enough the utilities are bieng shut off at 9 am is there any way to stop this from happening
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my name is Andrea and I will be glad to assist you in any way that I can,


I am sorry to hear about your child and about the utility shutoff notice,


Utility companies cannot shut off the utilities where there is a sick member of the family residing in the property. This is usually applied when there is an elderly member of the family residing in the home, but it is equally applicable to a sick child. If you want to prevent the utility company from shutting off your utilities, you are going to have to act very quickly in this regard. You should immediately call your child's pediatrician or any other health provider who is treating your child for their illness and ask them for a letter, it can be very brief, just as long as they confirm that you child is ill and shutting off the utilities will cause her condition to substantially worsen. You should take that letter with a copy of your shutoff notice in person to the offices of the utility company and give it to someone in authority, do not trust it in the hands of some clerk.


It is difficult to say if changing the due date is illegal because I do not have all the information necessary to make that determination. It would depend on how many months behind you are, when the last payment was made. The fact alone that they miscalculated the date is not illegal where the homeowner is very far behind in their payments because the utilities company does not know of your circumstances and your child's illness. You did not state if you entered an Agreement with the utilities companies to pay the outstanding balance in installments. There are many factors involved and I do not want to mislead you with any inaccurate information and risk having you present an invalid argument to the utilities company that would only make matters worse.


I wish you the very best of luck and if you follow the above steps, the utilities should not shut off the utilities and if they do after you gave them notice and confirmation of a sick child in the home, you would have a cause of action against them for any damages you suffer as a result of their action in shutting off the utilities,


Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,



If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,



Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,






Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon, I see that you have had the opportunity to review my Answer. Is there something that I can clarify for you? If not, please be kind enough to rate my service to you so that I can receive credit for researching your question and furnishing you with Answers and information, otherwise I will not receive credit for assisting you. The deposit you made is with JustAnswer and it will not cost you anything additional leave a positive rating, but without a rating, I do not receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you for understanding,