Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I want to hire a lawyer to sue a government organization for

I want to hire a lawyer to sue a government organization for discrimination and violating my first amendment rights to speech.

What type of lawyer should I look for?
I assume any settlement should be a contingency arrangement?

I am in Suffolk County NY

Chris T., JD :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Chris T., JD :

You would look for a civil rights lawyer, as they handle claims of a violation of a person's constitutional rights.

Customer:

In Suffolk County NY where do you suggest I find a high profile civir rights lawyer?

Customer:

I want to have my lawyer work on contingency of the settlement, your thoughts...

Chris T., JD :

The terms of Just Answer don't allow me to refer you to a specific lawyer, but I can point you to www.lawyers.com or www.martindale.com. Both are websites that allow you to search for lawyers based on location and practice area. They also both rate lawyers.

Chris T., JD :

If you have a strong case, they will likely take it on a contingency fee basis.

Customer:

How do I evaluate the lawyer? Is there a website to see all the cases a lawyer worked on and the outcome?

Chris T., JD :

Since most outcomes are handled through negotiation, they aren't public. Very few cases like this actually go to trial. You will just have to evaluate each potential lawyer and ask them about their prior 1st Amendment cases.

Customer:

Where do I view cases and gain knowledge about discrimination and first amendment rights

Chris T., JD :

Most lawyers use www.westlaw.com. There isn't any place that I know of that aggregates all 1st Amendment cases.

Customer:

From a laymen point of view will I be able to understand westlaw.com

Chris T., JD :

To be honest, probably not. It is a database of cases, but you have to know how to search it and how to read the cases.

Chris T., JD :

If you think you have a case, you need to go talk to a lawyer and let them help you decide. You don't need to make that decision on your own.

Customer:

I always like to be able to do my own research on any issues, hence trying to find out where I can research on discrimination and first amendment knowledge/cases

Chris T., JD :

The problem is how broad your question is. Discrimination can mean lots of things and can be a very complicated cause of action.

Chris T., JD :

Here is somewhere you can start.

Customer:

Thanks ...

Chris T., JD :

Here is a list of important 1st Amendment cases, which you can read and decide where you want to go from there.