Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hi There! My husband and I will have been married for 27 years

on Thursday. I want to...
Hi There! My husband and I will have been married for 27 years on Thursday. I want to file divorce due to him not being home for the past 3 months. Most of the bills are in my name and he currently pays me $800/month for his own bills [credit card, college son's car, dental insurance for family, etc]. Our shared bills include the mortgage, car insurance, vehicle payment, etc. If he moves out, I will take over the cable bill which is currently in his name.
10/15/2013
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

I need a little more ionformation.

1) Does your husband work ?

2) Does he have an income ?

Yes he started working when he became a citizen of the United States. He works for the local County School Board as a bus driver. I don't know how much he brings home gross, but he deposits $800/month into our joint checking account - that will be separate by tomorrow. He currently pays for health insurance for myself, college son, and himself through the School Board. He is due to retire in 3-4 years.

As part of a divorce the parties can decide for themselves how the money is to be split into terms of ongoing support. You can certainly ask him to continue to pay the $800.00 and other obligations you have listed.

If he refuses as part of the divorce process a Court will issue temporary or interim orders for support. The court ordered support will be based on your husband's earnings and your earnings. The court in arriving at a support figure can incorporate the mortgage payment. For example if you remain in the home the Court could include funds to pay the mortgage in the support payment, or the Court could order your husband to make the mortgage payment.

If the Court sets the amount it is impossible for me to predict how much each of you will have without a full financial statement. The Court ordered amount will be equitable based on your required expenses including the mortgage and your husband's expense including his housing.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater

Thank you. So if the divorce is finalized, will I be required to provide my own health insurance once he retires? Also, I quit my job to run an adult family care group home that is tax-exempt in terms of income. I do work part-time as a substitute teacher but my annual income is approximately $12/K. Should I make a note of this in my divorce papers?

Once the divorce is finalized you will be responsible for you own medical including medical insurance. As part of the divorce process both of you will have to completely disclose your incomes.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater)

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Jack R.
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney