How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was released from a geriatric behavior hospital

This answer was rated:

My husband was released from a geriatric behavior hospital unit today and we requested copies of his records i.e. nursing notes, admission documents, physician orders/ notes, consults, progress notes, patient summaries. We do not want an "abstract of health information." In the same breath, we were told it would take 7-10 days for the abstract!

We were told it can be quite expensive but when we said that was not an issue, we were also told "Hippa would not allow us to have copies of patients files."

What is our legal standing and do we need to consult with our personal attorney?

We are trying to get healthcare continuity without being used as medical/drug experiments! Thank you for any suggestions/guidance. Diwee
Birmingham, Alabama

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

William B. Esq. :

Your husband does have a right to his medical records (under both federal and state laws).

William B. Esq. :

For a short summary of the laws as they apply in Alabama, and for legal authority in the event you do not receive these records, here is a good publication that you can use:

CalAttorney2 and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you