How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102522
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to submit a California Public Record Act request

This answer was rated:

I would like to submit a California Public Record Act request to get true and clear { no blacked out names} copy of a supervisor promotional ranking list and the written examination used by a county government to help create that promotional list. Who is the CPRA request sent to, and what do I do if it is denied?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me what state or county agency this is in regards to? Such as:

Ca. Department. of Consumer Affairs


Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department


This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am requesting a CPRA to Sonoma County, CA.

Thank you.

Under the California Public Record Act, one can get most records from the state government.

"Records" include all communications related to public business "regardless of physical form or characteristics, including any writing, picture, sound, or symbol, whether paper, magnetic or other media." (§ 6252(e)) Electronic records are included, but software may be exempt. (§§ 6253.9(a),(g), 6254.9 (a),(d)).

All state and local agencies are covered, including: (1) any officer, bureau, or department.; (2) any "board, commission or agency" created by the agency (including advisory boards); and non-profits that coordinate with local agencies. (§ 6252(a),(b)).

Now here is where you run into an issue:

Under § 6252(e)), employees' private papers (including their names), are not covered unless they relate to the conduct of the pubic's business [and are] prepared, owned, used, or retained by the agency. Public employee's addresses are also exempt.

The CRPA request may give you some information, but the agency may redact (black out) employee's private information under § 6252 and other similar statutes. To overcome this, one must:

1) Specifically request in the CPRA letter that this information is not redacted, and
2) Explain that it is public record is not not exempt under Ca. Gov. Code § 6252 et seq.

Now, the agency may still deny the request and/or provide a redacted reply. If so, then the individual may appeal this matter to Court under a Writ of Mandate or a similar pleading to have the Court review the matter.

The Court would then determine whether or not the information is denied for good reason under the law and whether the right of privacy in a given circumstance outweighs the interests of the public in access to the information.

Employee performance and like records have SOMETIMES been deemed as to be disclosed, and sometimes not. It depends on a case by case basis:

Bakersfield City School District v. Superior Court 2004 WL(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Cal.App. 5 Dist.); Payton v. City of Santa Clara (1982) 132 Cal.App.3d 152: disciplinary records were not disclosable unless the state could demonstrate a compelling interest in disclosure;
AFSCME v. Regents of University of California (1978) 80 Cal.App.3d 913: performance audit was disclosable unless charges were found to be groundless.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you