Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

We recently had an insurance claim that included roofing.

We recently had an insurance claim that included roofing. The roofing contractor gave us a receipt paid in full and signed our check that was stamped with a lien waiver. A few months later he threatened to sue for $841 of not billed expenses. We did not receive an itemized billing. At that time I told him to submit it to the insurance company and if they paid, I would give it to him. They paid for the building permit $181.25 I feel should be paid this but question that if I pay it will negate our paid in full reeipt. Your opinion please Diane Lawson

Hello Diane -

-

Did the insurance company simply reject the other expenses that he was requesting and pay just the building permit?

-

Did the insurer give any reason why they were rejecting the additional expenses?

-

-

Did you have to pay anything out of pocket or was it all paid by the insurance company?

-

-

MARY

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The insurance company denied all the other charges as not needed and not pre approved. they say they have pictures to support their findings.

We had $1000 deductible on the whole claim. the roofing was app. 35 % of the claim.Diane

Hello again Diane -

-

There is no problem with paying the contractor the building permit money under these circumstances -- it will not negate your paid in full or lien release. My suggestion is that you send the money in a certified letter and tell the contractor that the insurance company only allowed the amount for the building permit and rejected all other requests as either not needed or not pre approved and tell the contractor if they have additional concerns or requests then to take the matter up directly with the insurance company -- and give the adjuster;s name, address and telephone number. Obviously, any business or person can sue another - there is no law to keep the contractor from trying to pursue this in small claims court against you -- but so long as you have all of your paperwork in order any such small claims case against you will not get anywhere if the contractor is inclined to pursue that route. From what you have told me, you have done everything correctly in dealing with the contractor and the insurance company and at this point the contractor should pursue the insurer if they are not happy with the outcome.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. Pressing a positive rating below will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU