How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34451
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was bitten by a dog at dog park on 9/9/2013. I told the

This answer was rated:

I was bitten by a dog at dog park on 9/9/2013. I told the owner that he was responsible for the bite and provide me with information. He was not cooperative. I called the sheriff to file a report about the incident. The sheriff took information from both parties and left.
My hand swelled and I became concerned. I called my Doctor however he was not available so I called my insurance company and they told me to go to the hospital.
The attending Doctor ask if the dog had rabies shots. I had no idea because I had no way of knowing. I tried contacting the Deputy that came and took the information, however he was on leave and it takes 3 days for the report to show at the sheriffs office. So the Doctor proceeded with the rabies vaccine. Since than I did get a copy of the report and contacted Lee County health dept. and animal control. I've been trying to contact the owner of the dog for cost incurred. No responses. Your opinion?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

You can send a demand to the dog owner for your damages. As a general rule of thumb, ask for 2 to 4 times your medical expenses, then add lost wages.

If the owner does not respond then you can file suit. If the damages are less than $5,000 you can file suit in small claims court and have them served by the sheriff. Small claims court is designed to be user friendly and allow laypersons to present their case without an attorney. It also moves much more quickly than regular courts. 

It is possible the owner's homeowner's insurance will cover the claim.

It is my privilege to assist you.  Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Since this forum is no substitute for your own legal counsel, you may want to verify the information I have provided with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

I am happy to answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. 

Thank you.

Loren and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Clarence, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.