How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5619
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, An air conditioning company recently quoted an installation

Customer Question

An air conditioning company recently quoted an installation price with the proviso that we would be eligible for over $2000 in rebates from the electric and gas company, reducing the cost from over $9000 down to just over $7000, I agreed and had the work done...only to find that the rebates only return approx $1000...surely this is a fraudulent tactic being used by the AC company...what can I do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John and I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about this matter.

This surely was a misrepresentation, and California law, specifically the Business and Professional code, prohibits such false and misleading pronouncements to attempt to get business. The problem you are going to have is the amount that you've been damaged is small. So you'll most likely have to take this matter to small claims court yourself. What I might first suggest that you do is draft a demand letter demanding they reimburse you the $1,000 additional that they stated you'd receive or you will bring them to court. It is also a misdemeanor to knowingly misrepresent such a fact to gain a sale. Here is a good synopsis of the statute that controls the matter, so you'll know the exact damages that are available under the law. Additionally you can contact the attorney general's office, or use the threat of contact, to influence the matter. I'd have to believe that the company would agree to pay some or all of your demand to avoid this.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, and I wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.