How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i purchased a property in the state of indiana , lake county

This answer was rated:

i purchased a property in the state of indiana , lake county 2 years ago , there is no mortgage on the property i paid it in full, i put the property in my mothers name only, she is unemployed and lives with her sister, she may have to undergo treatments at the hospital, test results are not in yet , she has no insurnace, can i quit claim the deed into my name , to protect the property against any medical bill she may start to incur, since the property is mine , is a quit claim deed the way to this , and if i quit claim the deed tommarrow , statue of limmitations where creditors can still go after it
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Does your mother have any medical bills that are currently in default or delinquent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your follow up.

Generally is someone in your mother's position would execute a quitclaim deed to her son for a real estate property, once the quitclaim deed is executed and recorded the mother would no longer own the property and thus any of the mother's future creditors would not be able to place a lien on the property, as long as the debt is incurred after the transfer of the property to the son.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am going to down load the quitclaim deed from the internet , and do it myself , i have done this in the past , i have held a real estate license before, so i am comfortable in filling out the form, the reason i am doing it myself , is because i want to do it tommarrow, or should i have my local attorney do it

Thank you for your follow up.

It is always better to have a local attorney to at least review the quitclaim deed and to make sure it is properly executed and recorded, since this is a very important legal matter for you.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you