Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hello, I had a legal question regarding a prison penpal I was

corresponding with....
Hello, I had a legal question regarding a prison penpal I was corresponding with.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/14/2013
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney

Chris T., JD :

Good evening. I'll be glad to assist you with your question.

Chris T., JD :

What is your question?

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

thanks so much

Customer:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3039tzl&s=5#.UltioiRJf5A

Customer:

please check out this link to a screengrab of my inbox and I will explain my situation

Chris T., JD :

OK

Customer:

its not an official legal document or anything of that sort

Customer:

just a screengrab of my nbox

Customer:

inbox

Chris T., JD :

Allright. What should I be looking for?

Customer:

thanks so much, so do you see 3 lines down, there is a letter in my inbox from XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

and its locked

Customer:

and next to the name it says NOTIFICATION as well as davis CF

Customer:

so im trying to figure out if I got in trouble, that name is XXXXX XXXXX inmate I wrote too, and the NOTIFICATION label feel official and the length is unusual, 10 pages.

Customer:

is there anything there in that line that clues you in to what it might be, could I be arrested or could it be a summons or some other legal NOTIFICATION

Customer:

in this context

Customer:

I googled davis CF and davis correctional facility and came up empty

Customer:

im not sure what that could stand for

Chris T., JD :

What state are these inmates in?

Customer:

connecticut

Customer:

although i am in michigan

Customer:

thanks so much for your advice with this

Customer:

matter

Customer:

im nervous here

Customer:

without much experience in this area

Customer:

i feel like the cops are gonna show up and arrest me any moment

Chris T., JD :

OK. From what I can tell, there isn't anything regarding you doing something illegal. First off, if they suspect you of doing something illegal, they will not notify you by email. Someone will contact you on the phone or in person.

Customer:

even if through the service?

Customer:

maybe they can not find me?

Customer:

can you think of anything they would send to the address on file

Customer:

summons or something

Chris T., JD :

They can find you through your log in IP address.

Chris T., JD :

They cannot send a summons via email. A summons must be delivered in person.

Chris T., JD :

Otherwise there is no way to be sure the person it was intended for actually received it.

Customer:

im worried cause 6 weeks ago i sent 2 erotic stories to an inmate, i didnt even read them, but he requested them, so i just copied the link and pasted the story. I got notified the mail was rejected do to criminal content in the stories, in this caseit said underage sex. One of the stories involved this 17 year fantasy, so i guess that was it. So now im paranoid this has caused me to get in trouble, and this is the next phase

Customer:

have you ever heard of any kind of legal notification that is around 10 pages that they might send this way? i have no idea who this XXXXX XXXXX is

Chris T., JD :

While the content may depict criminal activity, the story itself is not illegal.

Customer:

thanks again for your patience

Chris T., JD :

Again, they don't do investigations via email. You don't have anything to worry about.

Customer:

that does help

Customer:

i feel a little better

Customer:

so keep in mind though, they 10 pages is a physical letter sent to the service and the service transcribes the physical letter into an email format that i then view. So whatever it contains, it is a physical letter sent to the services physical address

Customer:

if that changes anything

Chris T., JD :

Look at it from their perspective: if you wanted to question someone about suspected criminal activity, would you give them the chance to do it via email because the person has as much time as they want to craft the perfect story. That's why interrogations are done in person, so there can be a back and forth.

Customer:

i see

Customer:

so what about the physical letter as I stated above, maybe they are calling me to court or notifying me of a court date or appearance, or requesting me for something

Customer:

i dont know

Customer:

if i was to be arrested, i would have been already . no?

Customer:

they wouldnt send a lettere

Chris T., JD :

Again, they don't do that via email. It is not legal service.

Customer:

well, not to get bogged down on that issue, but is was a physical letterr

Customer:

the service recieved

Customer:

does that change your opinion

Chris T., JD :

No, it isn't a physical letter because it has not been delivered to you personally.

Customer:

i see

Customer:

so that is a destiction

Customer:

destinction

Customer:

they would send it to me and make sure i recieved it

Customer:

not send it through a third party company

Chris T., JD :

Yes, it is. To serve someone by a summons, it has to be personally hand delivered to the intended recipient.

Customer:

can you think of any other kind of notification or communication they might undertake. Any guess as to what it could be?

Customer:

also, i couldnt find a davis CF in connecticut

Customer:

unless its a courthouse

Chris T., JD :

It could be a warning of some kind since that doesn't require legal service.

Customer:

10 pages though

Customer:

?

Customer:

that seems huge

Chris T., JD :

Understand that it is literally impossible for me to tell you what it is without opening it.

Customer:

right

Customer:

i get that

Customer:

im asking the impossibkle

Customer:

i guess i was just hoping to get your gut reaction to the situation once you understood it, and to anticipate any potential legal danger i might be in, otherwise ill be up all night worrying

Chris T., JD :

No matter what, you are going to have to open it and figure it out. Sticking your head in the sand isn't going to change what it is.

Customer:

i want to open it, but the service locked it

Customer:

very frustrating

Customer:

i contacted them to unlock it, which i believe was becuase i needed to deposit funds into the account, which I did

Chris T., JD :

I can tell you what it isn't: a legal summons.

Customer:

so as soon as they do, i will read it

Customer:

so the main things im concerned with would be anything that makes me have to report to connecut in person, and obvously anything that might mean im in criminal danger or going to be arrested

Customer:

would that always be a summons?

Customer:

i guess i dont even really know what a summons is

Chris T., JD :

I'm not sure how else I can say this, but this is not a summons or any other type of compulsory legal process. Those must be hand delivered.

Customer:

ok, im hearing it

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

is there anything else that might make me have to travel to Connecticut? is that always caused a summons

Customer:

called a summons

Customer:

or if they wanted to investigate me, is that always a summons?

Customer:

like you said, they would want a back and forth

Customer:

or maybe question me about the inmate himself

Customer:

i dont know

Customer:

im fishing

Chris T., JD :

There is not any sort of legal process that can make you appear that is sent via email. None. Nada. Zip. Stop worrying about this.

Customer:

and nothing to do with an arrest forthcoming either?

Customer:

i appreciate your patience with this

Customer:

i guess ill just have to wait and see

Chris T., JD :

I'm really don't think I can be any clearer on this. No. Again, stop worrying about this.

Customer:

open it up

Customer:

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX could i find this davis institution?

Customer:

are there any databases or anything

Chris T., JD :

I think you are VERY worked up and almost don't want to believe what I'm telling you.

Customer:

haha, well this is kinda true

Customer:

ok, thanks i wont kick the dead horse anymore

Chris T., JD :

Yea, let it go.

Customer:

until i can open the notification and see what is in it

Customer:

its probably not serious, or they would not communicate this way

Chris T., JD :

That's what I've been telling you for the past 30 minutes.

Customer:

and like you said, sending an erotic story, even if it contained underage sex, would not be illegal anyway.

Customer:

yeah i know

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

im being panicked

Chris T., JD :

Glad to help. If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "Rate" my answer.

Chris T., JD :

Let this go.

Customer:

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX really appreciate it. I wnt completely rest easy until i read what it is, but this has reassured me some

Customer:

much apprciated

Chris T., JD :

Glad I could help. Please remember to "rate" my answer.

Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney