How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a contractor to do some landscaping at my house in

This answer was rated:

I hired a contractor to do some landscaping at my house in Texas and he has disappeared on me half way through the job. He has left a utility trailer, portable cement mixer and various other tools on my property. It has been 4 weeks since I have seen or heard from him. I have 2 phone numbers for him from both his business card and proposal forms which is his cell number and office number. His cell phone voice mail box has been full for weeks and not accepting messages and I have left countless messages on the office number which is a Sprint voice mail box. I have sent e-mails to the e-mail address on the website and no reply. I really don't think we are square on the money issue, I have a job incomplete and and now going to have to find another contractor to finish the job (which will probably cost more than if this guy showed back up and finished what he started) and I am wondering how to proceed here. What kind of hoops do I have to go through to take legal possession of his things he left behind and sell them to try and at least recoup a little of the money I am going to be out to finish my project off?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear of this matter. I suggest it is possible that something has happened to your contractor. Is there anyway you can make a personal appearance to his business or home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's one of the problems. There is no business address on his business cards or proposal forms. I looked at his website and there is also no business address listed. The only contact information there is are phone numbers and e-mail. I have tried doing searches on the internet for him and his company but have come up empty for a location on him. Don't know what to do next.


I suggest you try this link for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations.

There is another tab within called Search Licensee by License Type. I suggest you see if you can get his information that way.

If not, then call the Department and ask them to look it up for you. Tell them that you are trying to locate your contractor because the job is incomplete, he has left his equitment there and you are concerned something has happened to him.

If you still come up empty then I suggest that you have to use his email and write him a letter telling him he is put on Notice that his equiptment needs to be retrieved, that he has not completed the job and that if he does not contact you, you will be taking possession of his equiptment and that you will dispose of it as you deem necessary.

If you do not hear from him, then I suggest you will need to advertise in the local newspaper that the equitment will be sold and that the owner needs to contact you.

It is not an easy process and so while I know that contractors leave jobs after getting some of the money, I also know that most do not leave the tools of their trade behind. And so that is why I suggest that something may have happened to him.
Sam and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you