How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118777
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We need advise. My brother in law is selling his home in escrow

This answer was rated:

We need advise. My brother in law is selling his home in escrow now. An issue came up about a lien on his property in 2005 for $3K posted by a collection company, they went out of business, the escrow company found a lawyers office that is handling the account, but they don't want to accept the check for pay-off. Escrow needs the lien removed before they can close. They can't get anyone to accept payment and sign off the lien. What can we do to expedite the matter?
thanks, Tom
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only, it cannot be considered legal advice.

If nobody will accept the lien payment, then I am afraid that one would have to file a petition to quiet title in the local court and ask that the lien be removed because the creditor is out of business and there is nobody to make payment to and thus ask the court to invalidate and remove the lien. This is generally the title company who will do this and if not your brother in law will need to get a local attorney to get the lien removed for him if the lawyers who handled the account will not issue a release of lien letter because they will not accept payment.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you