How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28367
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

brother owes me money 40000 dollars due at my retirement at

This answer was rated:

brother owes me money 40000 dollars due at my retirement at age 65 now 65 no repayment just verbal agreement plus also owes12000 on credit cards that are in my name what can i do
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Why does he first owe you money now, at the age of 65?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that was the agreement he put money into his business and said he would give me 1 million when i retire

Fred, thank you for the additional information. In an ideal situation, you would make a demand in writing to him, for the amount owed and he would pay it, pursuant to the agreement. If he fails to pay you what he promised at this time or to work out alternative agreement, then your next step would be to file a civil lawsuit against him and obtain a judgment. The fact that the agreement was not in writing, does not prevent you from suing him. However, it would just make it a lot more difficult to recover, since it is your word against his, without any proof of the terms and conditions. Any time a person makes a loan or investment with a promised return of $1,000,000 they typically get that in writing, since the value is so high. If he will not pay the $1,000,000 nor return your investment or pay you what is owed on the credit cards, you would have to sue him and obtain a judgment though the courts, to collect.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you